Monday, June 1, 2009

Cox Elementary Field Day


If you went to public school, do you remember as the school year drew to a close having a Track and Field Day? You might remember the water balloon tosses, relay races, or picnic on the playground. Well, Olivia participated in her first elementary school field day in May. There were water balloon tosses, relay races, and a picnic outside, as well as dancing, tug-of-war (for the older grades), and even a water slide. The kids had a blast! Eve and I volunteered at the balloon release event, where the kids released balloons (earth-friendly ones) with messages of hope inside. I was so thankful for being stationed at this event because I figured Eve wouldn't want to get too involved (she would have been upset if we were stationed at the water slide and she wouldn't be allowed to participate) as long as she got to hold a non-helium balloon. Silly me! She cried each time a class released their balloons and the balloons floated into the sky. She wanted them to come back down and felt they were lost forever. Finally, I told her that the balloons were a present to Jesus, and that seemed to satisfy her a bit, but unfortunately I didn't think of this until there were only two more classes to go.

Olivia had so much fun and didn't want the day to end. She told me her favorite event was the water slide. I was able to watch her do a couple of the events next to where we were stationed, and she had the biggest grin on her face. It's so lovely to see her smile at school.

No comments: